This is a short post to share a very yummy recipe for a home-made split pea soup. I know for us, when the weather gets cold, a warm pot of soup can incredibly brighten up our day. With only a few simple and affordable healthy ingredients you can make this tasty soup in no time. A handy Crock-Pot is a big plus for easy & efficient cooking time.
If you’re like us and look forward to feed a big family, you can serve our wonderful split pea soup with a variety of different sides such as rice, quinoa, sweet potato just to name a few. You can never go wrong adding some saltine crackers or a roll of bread as well if you’d like to.
(1) 16 oz bag of Dry Split Peas
(1) Medium white onion
(3) Stalks of celery
(1) Large Carrot
6-8 cups Veggie stock
Large Pinch of Oregano
Large Pinch of Basil
Sea Salt as you like for flavor
DIRECTIONS: (if using store brand broth skip to step 3)
- Chop your celery, onion and carrots.
- Bring your carrots in 6-8 cups of water to a boil for about 20 minutes or until your carrots are tender, then remove the carrots and set aside.
- Place dry (chopped) ingredients (celery and onion including carrots) into Crock Pot.
- Add in your Veggie stock (store brand or home made).
- Set the crock-pot on high for about 4 hrs (cooking times will vary).
- Be patient & ENJOY!